Windows 11 is available as a free upgrade for compatible Windows 10 PCs, you can wait for the update to appear in the usual windows update section under settings on your computer. However, if the option isn’t there yet, and you are excited to upgrade to Windows 11 now there are a couple of ways to force your computer to install it. or even Windows 11 ISO images available for download to create installation media and perform a clean install manually. Here in this post, we go through the steps, How to Use Windows 11 Installation Assistant to Upgrade From Windows 10 to the latest windows 11 version 22H2.
- 1 What is windows 11 installation assistant?
- 2 Windows 11 system requirement
- 3 Upgrade Windows 11 using Installation Assistant
- 4 How to rollback Windows 11
What is windows 11 installation assistant?
The Windows 11 Installation assistant previously known as Windows 10 update assistant is a dedicated tool that helps you upgrade to the latest Windows 11 version 22H2 on your PC. It is the recommended way from Microsoft to get Windows 11 up and running on your system.
- But before using this tool make sure your device has windows 10 version 2004 or higher installed,
- Your device must meet minimum system requirements for installing windows 11.
- Ensure you have at least 16 GB of free disk space on your system to download windows 11 update files on your local storage using the assistant.
- Make sure you have a stable internet connection to download windows 11 update files and disconnect VPN if configured on your device.
- And most importantly, ensure that you run the installation assistant as an administrator.
Windows 11 system requirement
Here Microsoft official recommends the basic requirements for installing Windows 11 on your system.
- Processor: 1GHz or faster with 2 or more cores.
- RAM: 4GB or higher
- Graphics: DX12 compatible with WDDM 2.0 driver
- Disk Space: 9GB for downloading installation files.
- System: UEFI, with Secure Boot
- TPM: 2.0 or higher
- Display: 720p @ 8bits or higher
If you are not sure about the above system requirement, download and run the official PC Health Check software. This will show you any areas your PC needs attention in terms of compatibility and guide you on how to fix them Well.
Upgrade Windows 11 using Installation Assistant
If your PC meets the basic requirements, or the PC health check tool shows a green signal you can continue with the guide below to upgrade using the Windows 11 Installation Assistant.
Note: If you upgrade your PC using Windows 11 Installation assistant you will get the option to rolling back to windows 10.
Backup your Data
When you upgrade to windows 11 it’ll keep all of your different apps and files so you shouldn’t lose anything. But before upgrading it’s always a good idea to make sure that you have a backup in place. You can simple backup all your files to an external Hard drive or as an alternative use Microsofts one drive or any other cloud storage.
Download windows 11 Installation Assistant
- First, open your favorite web browser and visit the official windows 11 download link here,
- Here Download the Windows 11 Installation Assistant (refer to the image below)
Run windows 11 Installation Assistant as administrator
- Once downloaded, right-click on the file and select ‘Run as administrator.
- Select ‘Yes’ to allow the app if user account control prompts for permission.
- This will prompt the Microsoft license terms, scroll down to read them, once you’ve done go ahead and click on Accept and Install button.
Let the assistant download windows 11 files
- The Assistant will start downloading Windows 11 necessary files to your local computer, the download time depends on your internet speed.
- It will take around 5GB data from your internet and download the original windows 11 update from the Microsoft server.
- Once the windows 11 download is completed the next step will start verifying the download in the background.
- Again it will take a few minutes, let the percentage complete 100.
- The installation process should automatically begin once the files have been verified.
- Step 3 is which actually installing windows 11. This one took a little bit longer (Around 15 to 20 minutes)
Restart your computer
Once the installation is complete your computer will automatically restart after 30 minutes. Or you have the option to Click on ‘Restart now’ click on it so It can load up windows 11 and configure it for you.
- Once you reboot your PC, and your computer prompt working on updates make sure to keep your computer on (Don’t turn off your computer during this time) and your computer may restart a few times during this process.
- Once the process completes it will prompt for Log in to your account when you are at the lock screen and Windows should now continue with the setup.
- Once complete, you will be automatically taken to your desktop. All your data should be preserved, and all your installed apps should be intact.
How to rollback Windows 11
After upgrading windows 11, if you notice it’s not working as expected, having different bugs or problems, or Windows 11 isn’t for you and you want to roll back to Windows 10 for now you can go back previous windows 10 following the steps below.
Note: You can roll back windows 11 or revert back to windows 10 within 10 days of the upgrade.
- Open windows 11 settings using Windows key + I or right-click on the start menu and select settings,
- Go to settings then click on Advanced options,
- Again under additional options locate recovery expand it
- Here you will get the Go back option click on it and follow on-screen instructions to revert back to previous windows 10.
- Microsoft Windows 11 New features and improvements: Everything you need to know
- Windows 11 Snap Layouts not working? 3 working solutions to fix it
- How to Download the Official Windows 11 ISO from Microsoft
- Solved: Minecraft no internet connection issues on Windows 11
- Can’t hear anyone on Discord after update? Apply these 6 solutions to fix it