Sometimes you may notice “Antimalware Service Executable” in the Task Manager causing high cpu usage or slow down the computer. You are not alone, several users Complaint while start Windows or open a program, Antimalware Service Executable shoots up to 100% disk usage, and the computer becomes unusable for large periods of time. So What is Antimalware Service Executable or (msmpeng.exe),Is it a virus? how to disable antimalware service executable in windows 10. Here the answer you looking for and solutions to fix antimalware service executable high cpu or disk usage problem in windows 10.
- 1 What is Antimalware Service Executable?
- 2 Why is Antimalware service executable running high?
- 3 Should I Disable antimalware service executable?
What is Antimalware Service Executable?
Antimalware Service Executable, also known as MsMpEng.exe process is part of windows security formally know as windows defender, a default antivirus program from Microsoft in Windows 10. And the purpose of the process is to provide real-time scanning, scanning files as and when they are copied to your computer and notifying the user when it detects a suspicious file. This process is usually around 14,100 bytes in size, occupying a minimal amount of your hard drive space. Msmpeng.exe is also a digitally signed file, which means it has been verified and tested to work correctly in Microsoft Windows.
There are several reasons that may cause Antimalware service executable High CPU or Disk usage on Windows 10. Here in this post we have few best working suggestions that probably help fix the problem.
Why is Antimalware service executable running high?
The most common reason for it to be Antimalware Service Executable High disk Usage is the real-time feature which is constantly scanning files, connections and other related applications in real-time, which is what it is supposed to be doing (Protect In Real Time). Whenever we download new files or any software it keeps scanning everything to check whether it is malicious or not. It takes action quickly and that leads us to the problem of too much system usage. Whatever you do it starts scanning files, connections and other related applications in real-time that annoys you by consuming your CPU storage.
Should I Disable antimalware service executable?
We do not recommend that all, the antimalware service executable perform background scans to check for dangerous software, for any viruses or worms. If you are struggling with antimalware service executable high CPU or Disk usage problem you can disable real-time protection. And most probably this will fix the problem for you.
Disable Real-time protection
Yes, the most possible solution to fix the Antimalware Service Executable High CPU or disk usage problem is turning off the real-time protection. to do this
- Press Windows key + S type windows security the select the first result,
- Click on Virus & threat protection then Manage settings
- And finally, Switch the “Real-time protection” setting to Off.
Change Windows Defender’s Scheduling Options
Changing the Windows defender’s schedule is another effective way because the error is mainly caused by the real-time protection feature. Follow the details below and fix the ‘antimalware service executable high disk usage’ issue.
- Press the Windows key + R type taskschd.msc and press Enter.
- Double-click on Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows.
- Double-click Windows Defender in Windows. Then double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.
- Uncheck Run with highest privileges.
- Uncheck all the items in the Conditions section. Then click OK.
Add Antimalware Service Executable to Exclusion List
- Press the Windows logo key + I at the same time to open the Settings window.
- Click Update & security then virus & threat protection settings.
- Click manage settings, scroll down, under Exclusion click Add or remove exclusions.
- Click Exclude a .exe, .com or .scr process
- Type MsMpEng.exe then click OK.
Disable Windows Defender using Regedit
Defender’s Antimalware Service mainly means that Windows Defender’s real-time protection is Turned ON and if both solutions from above can’t help you then it’s quite possible that your windows defender got corrupted by being overworked due to continuous files scanning. if due to this your system causes 100% usages then disable windows defender can fix this problem.
To Disable Windows Defender From Registry
- Press Windows + R, type regedit and ok to open the windows registry editor.
- Backup registry database then navigates the following path. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender
- Now right-click on the blank space and select new and then click on “create the DWORD key” and name this to “DisableAntiSpyware”.
- After that, just double click on your new key and set the value to 1 and that will disable your Windows Defender permanently:
- Restart windows and check there is no more high disk usage by the Antimalware service executable process.
Perform full system scan
There are chances, virus or malware infection may causing the issue. Perform a full system scan with windows security or latest updated antivirus / antimalware application.
Disable third party antivirus
If you have more than one antivirus or security software installed on your PC that may also cause High DIsk or CPU usage problems on windows 10. We already know Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts, false virus alerts, and lowered protection. (source) Temporarily disable or uninstall both of them and check the status of your problem.
Check system file corruption
Also, sometimes corrupted system files cause this high system resource usage such as antimalware service executable high disk usage, msmpeng.exe high CPU usage etc. We recommend running the System files checker utility which scans for corrupted system files. And if found any the SFC utility will restore them itself from a compressed folder located on %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
Perform a clean boot may also help you find out if any application or program causing the antimalware service executable high CPU usage problem.
Did these solutions help to fix Antimalware service executable high disk usage windows 10? Let us know on comments below, Also read: