Microsoft regularly releases Windows updates, and it’s essential for keeping windows 11 secured. The company recently released windows 11 KB5006674 that fixes compatibility issues between Intel “Killer” and “SmartByte” networking software and the operating system. This is a mandatory update and Microsoft recommends download and install immediately when it is available for your device. Well sometimes while installing the update you may experience Windows 11 KB5006674 stuck downloading or windows 11 update failed install with different errors.
Windows 11 update stuck downloading
The reason may differ, from slow internet connection to third-party antivirus software or Lack of drive space, corrupted update files, hardware or driver conflicts. here in this post, we have effective solutions apply to fix windows 11 update problems.
Check for updates again
If windows 11 update fails to install or is stuck downloading, check and make sure you have a working internet connection to download update files from the Microsoft server.
Ensure you have enough free space in your C drive to install the latest windows 11 updates, remove the external hard disk (if connected)
Temporarily disable or uninstall third-party antivirus and disconnect VPN if connected.
Restart your computer and Re-run the Windows updates again from Settings -> Windows Updates -> click on Check for updates.
Run Windows Update troubleshooter
Let’s run the build-in windows update troubleshooter that automatically detects and fix problems causing windows 11 update stuck download or fail to install.
- Open the settings app using windows key + I
- Go to the System tab then on the right-hand side Scroll down and click on Troubleshoot then other troubleshooters
- Here you will get different troubleshooting options to fix internet connection, audio, printer issues etc
- locate and select the windows update option then click the run option to launch the windows update troubleshooter,
- This will start to diagnose windows update issues, check windows update service status, corrupted update cache etc and try to resolve them itself.
Clear Windows update cache
Running the windows update troubleshooter typically deletes update cache, including any potentially corrupted files or stuck downloads. But if it doesn’t you need to delete it following the steps below.
- Restart your computer in safe mode,
- Press Windows key + E to open file explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
- Delete all files and folders inside the download folder to do this press Ctrl + A to select all and hit the del key
- Restart your computer and check for updates again from Settings -> Windows Updates -> click on Check for updates
Run Windows Update in Clean Boot State
Boot in Clean Boot State and run Windows Update and see if this helps. When you start the computer in clean boot, it will start windows using a pre-selected minimal set of driver and startup programs. and help if any driver conflict or startup program prevents install or apply windows updates.
- Press Windows key + R, type msconfig and press ok to open system configuration utility,
- Go to the general tab then click selective startup, make sure clear the load startup items checkbox and ensure the load system services and use original boot configuration are checked
- Next move to the services tab, select hide all Microsoft services check box, now click disable all
- Click apply then ok and restart your computer
- Now again check for updates this time may you get success without any problem.
Download and install the latest update manually
If you are still haveing trouble installing the update, try Download and install the latest update manually.
- To do this navigate to the Microsoft Update Catalog here,
- Search for the KB number of the security update that’s failing to install or stuck download
- Save the update file to your computer, and run it as administrator after it finishes downloading.
Use the System File Checker
Sometimes corrupted system files or problems with your Windows 11 installation may prevent applying windows updates. Run the system file checker utility to check for and repair any issues.
- Open command prompt as administrator
- First run DISM command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Let the command scan and execute 100% once done run system file checker command sfc /scannow
- Again wait to complete the scanning and repair process, once done reboot your PC and check for updates again.
- How to fix windows update when it gets stuck at 0 percent or 100
- Why is my computer running so slow? Reasons with Easy Solutions
- Spotify Won’t Open or not responding on Windows 10? Let’s fix the problem
- Solved: Error 0x8007007f when using Windows 11 Installation Assistant
- How to Download Windows 11 Media Creation Tool and it’s usage