Did Windows 10 computer restarts when playing games or when you start a game and your computer reboot suddenly? Several users report since Windows 10 20H2 update computer randomly restarts without warning, It just shuts off, similar to a power outage, and restarts itself like nothing happened. There are several reasons that could cause this to happen, It could be the failure of some hardware component, a problem with the graphic driver, the game you are playing is not compatible with your device, Bad Windows Installation and more. To overcome this issue, here in this post we have a few suggestions which may help you identify and fix the problem.
Computer restarts when playing games
The solution work for me: I have personally experienced this problem, “windows 10 randomly restarts without warning” on my computer. Have checked each and every possibility and finally found the problem with Graphic Card. If your PC reboot while playing a game or Windows 10 randomly restarts when idle we recommend try disconnecting your graphics card from the motherboard and check the problem resolved.
Again check and make sure the game you are trying to open or playing on your PC is compatible with the current windows version.
Temporarily disable or uninstall security software, Antivirus on your PC and check if this helps to fix the problem.
Check for Windows update
Microsoft regularly releases windows updates with security improvement and various bug fixes. And installing the latest windows updates fix the previous problems as well. Let’s check for and install the latest windows update that may have fix for this windows restart loop bug.
- Right-click on the start menu select settings,
- Click Update & security then windows update,
- Next hit the check for updates button to allow download of windows updates from Microsoft server,
- Once done reboot your PC to apply the updates.
Update Graphics driver
If Windows 10 frequently restart only while playing a game then we recommend check the Graphics Driver, you need to update or reinstall the graphic driver with the latest version.
To Update Graphics card driver
- Press Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc and click ok
- This will open the device manager and display all installed device driver list,
- Expand Display adapters, right-click on your NVIDIA graphic card and select update driver,
- Click on Search automatically for drivers to allow download driver update from Microsoft server (If available any)
- Once done reboot your PC to apply the driver update.
Reinstall Graphics card driver
Also, you can uninstall the current graphics driver, download the latest setup from the manufacturer’s website and install to fix the problem.
To uninstall the graphics driver:
- Again open device manager using devmgmt.msc or right click on the start menu select device manager,
- Expand Display adapters, right-click on your NVIDIA GeForce driver select uninstall
- When ask for confirmation, Checkmark on delete the driver software for this device and click uninstall
- Now open the control panel then click on Uninstall a Program.
- Here uninstall everything related to Nvidia (Your Graphics driver) and Reboot your system to save changes
Now download the latest Graphics driver setup from the manufacturer’s website. Right-click on setup.exe select run as administrator and follow on-screen instructions to install the latest graphics driver on your Device.
Restart your PC, this should Fix the Computer restarts randomly on Windows 10 issue.
Change your power plan to High performance
- Press Windows key + R, type powercfg.cpl and click ok,
- if you are laptop users Right-click on the Power icon on the taskbar and select Power Options
- Here check the mode of power, if it is set as Power saver, change it either to High performance or Balanced.
- Next, click on Change plan settings then Change advanced power settings link,
- A new popup window opens, Scroll down and expand Processor power management.
- Now click Minimum processor state and set it to low state such as 5% or 0% for both plugged in and battery.
- Click Apply followed by OK and reboot your PC to save changes, See if this helps fix the problem.
Disable Windows Automatic Restart Feature
- On the start menu search for View advanced system settings and select the first result,
- Move to the Advanced Tab and under Startup and Recovery click on the Settings button
- Under System, failure uncheck “Automatically restart” and click Ok to confirm changes
- Reboot your PC to save changes, Check the Windows 10 Randomly Restart problem resolved.
Check for hardware issues
Again Random restart on Windows 10 can occur due to hardware failure, so it’s always a good idea to inspect your hardware. Several users reported that after changing the faulty power supply, memory module, or Graphics card the issue was resolved. Well if your device is under warranty it’s better to take it to the repair shop and aks them to check it for you.
Please turn off your computer and unplug it from the power source.
Open the lid, and locate the RAM sticks, remove all of them, and try to power on the computer with every stick, one by one. Also, clear your RAM as well.
Test memory module for errors
Run the built-in memory diagnostic tool that helps diagnose memory errors on your computer.
- Press Windows key + R, type mdsched.exe and click ok,
- Choose to restart now and check for problems,
After the initial BIOS screen, the scan should commence. Wait for the procedure to end and reboot your PC. Read how to check memory diagnose test results on windows 10.
Update your BIOS
Sometimes you can fix computer random restart problem by updating your BIOS.
Note: Performing BIOS update is a critical task and if something goes wrong it can seriously damage your system.
- First, run command msinfo32 to identify your BIOS version
- Once the System Information window opens scroll down and locate BIOS Version/Date and note down the manufacturer and BIOS version.
- Now go to your manufacturer’s website, for example, Dell support
- Search your device model to find out the latest available driver for your PC,
- From here download the BIOS driver and double-click on the Exe file to run it.
- Once you updated your BIOS and this may also Fix the Computer restarts randomly on Windows 10 issue as well.
In addition, Run the DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) restore health command and System file checker utility that help repair windows system image and restore missing system files with the correct one. Or perform System restore that revert back system to a previous working state and help fix the problem.
Did these tips help fix Windows 10 PC Auto Restart When playing games or Watching Videos? Let us know in the comments below.
- Windows 10 laptop Freezes Applications Not Responding on Startup? Lets fix it
- How to Fix BOOTMGR is missing in Windows 10 8.1 and 7
- How to Reduce high memory usage in Google chrome Windows 10
- Solved: Discord Overlay Not Working or not Showing PUBG, valorant, rainbow six siege
- How to install Kali Linux on Windows 10 subsystem (Step by step guide)