Windows 11 DPC Watchdog Violation error mostly occurs because of incompatible hardware or outdated driver or software conflicts between programs. Again corrupted system files or third-party antivirus software can also cause the DPC_Watchdog Violation error on windows 11. Disconnecting incompatible hardware to removing conflicting software, Repair System Files with SFC & DISM tools or installing windows 11 updates help most users fix FIX the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION error on Windows 11. If you are experiencing such windows 11 blue screen error on your computer, here are a few effective tips apply to fix it.
DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION error
Here DPC is the abbreviated form of Deferred Procedure Call, and the WATCHDOG refers to the Bug Checker. If due to any reason, the Bug Checker takes longer than 100 microseconds to find a response it may results in a timeout and causes a blue screen error on windows 11. Sometimes removing the problematic piece of hardware can be the simplest solution to your DPC Watchdog Violation error problem. Here we have a number of potential solutions to fix this blue screen error.
Disconnect external devices
First, disconnect all external hardware devices (except keyboard and mouse) from your computer and reboot your computer to check whether the problem is gone. If your computer starts normally then try re-connecting one device at a time to discover which one is incompatible. If your PC frequently crashes due to this blue screen error we recommend start your PC in safe mode and apply the solutions listed below.
Run Windows SCF Scannow command
If you are getting DPC Watchdog Violation error after a windows update, it may be corrupted or a missing system might cause the issue. Running DISM restore health and the system file checker utility help scan and repair these files effectively.
- Press Windows key + S and type cmd, right click on command prompt and select run as administrator,
- First, run the DISM command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth, this will scan and fix corrupted or damaged Windows operating system files and features directly from Windows online servers.
- Next run system file checker command sfc /scannow this will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy that is located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
- You only need to wait 20 to 30 minutes to complete the scanning and repair process.
- Finally, restart your computer and check if the problem is resolved.
Run a Windows Chkdsk scan
Problem with the disk drive or bad sectors in hard disk also may cause windows freezes or not respond and display Blue screen error on windows 11. Run the Windows Chkdsk scan process can fix any errors with an SSD or HDD driver which may be causing the DPC Watchdog Violation error on windows 11.
- First of all, open Command Prompt as Administrator on Windows 11.
- Now In the command window, type the command CHKDSK C: /F /R and then press Enter.
- Then type Y to schedule and check the disk errors next time your system reboots.
- Finally, you need to restart your computer and Windows will check your hard drive and automatically fix the error.
Disable Fast Startup
The fast startup feature was introduced to speed up the startup process, but sometimes this feature may be the reason behind different blue screen errors on windows 11. Let’s disable the fast startup feature on windows 11 and check if this helps fix DPC Watchdog Violation blue screen error.
- Press Windows key + R, type powercfg.cpl and click ok to Power Options window,
- On the left side of the panel, select Choose what the power button does.
- Then click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Finally, look for Turn on fast startup (recommended), then uncheck this option. And click Save Changes to save and close.
Update SATA AHCI driver
Again If your SATA AHCI driver is outdated, updating it can fix the problem.
- Press Windows key+X and select Device Manager, this will display all installed device driver lists,
- Locate and expand the Disk drives option, right-click on Standard SATA AHCI Controller, and select Properties.
- Select Driver Details and select Update Driver. Select Search automatically for drivers and follow the on-screen instructions.
Update Windows 11
Microsoft regularly releases windows update with recent bug fixes and security enhancements. Let’s check and Install the latest windows updates to make sure this problem isn’t being caused by a bug that has recently been patched out.
- Press the Windows key + X and select settings,
- Go to windows update and hit the check for updates button,
- If new updates are available for pending there allow them to download and install on your computer,
- Once done you need to reboot your computer to apply the changes.
Update SSD Firmware
If you are using SSD driver on your computer, download and update the latest firmware from the manufacturer’s website and update your SSD
- Press the Windows key + X and select Computer Management then select Device Manager.
- In the corresponding right panel, expand disk drivers and you will find the type of SSD and the model number.
- After looking up the SSD model number, visit the manufacturer’s website,
- Find the latest firmware version if available, then download and update it for your SSD.
Reverting to a previous restore point
If all the above solutions didn’t fix Windows 11 DPC Watchdog violation error then its time to utilize the System Restore option. Many users have reported that this method has helped them to fix windows 11 blue screen errors on their system.
- Press Windows key + R, type rstrui.exe and click ok to open the system restore window, click next
Note – You can only restore your system to a previous working state if you have enabled and created system restore points.
- You will find all the restore points you have created on your Windows 11 computer to date.
- Based on the date, time, and the event name, choose the restore point and click on “Next”
- On the next window, click finish, this will restart your Windows 11 PC to commence the System Restore process.
Reset Windows 11
If you are getting this blue screen frequently and windows 11 won’t start even on safe mode. Then there is the reset windows 11 option is left for you before performing a clean install of windows 11. And for the safer side, we recommend backup your most sensitive data this ensures that even if something goes wrong, you can still access your data.
Reset Windows 11 using Advanced Startup Options when PC won’t boot normally.
If windows 11 restarts 2/3 time it will automatically perform a startup repair to fix the problem itself. But if the startup repair fails you will see the advanced screen with the options to shutdown and advanced options.
- Next, select the Troubleshoot option and Select the Reset this PC
- If you want to keep your files but want to reset other settings, choose the first option. Otherwise, select the second option.
Next, select local reinstall and follow on-screen instructions to reset windows 11 its default settings without any data loss.
If you are able to start your PC, Here is a video explains how to reset windows 11 from settings.
- Windows 11 is very Slow after update? Let’s Improve Windows 11 Performance
- Windows 11 Laptop Stuck on Restarting screen? 7 solutions to apply
- Fix Internal Power Error BSOD on Windows 10 version 22H2
- Windows 11 Update Failed or stuck? Here’s How to Fix That
- 5 solutions to fix NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM error in Windows 11 and 10