The Printer sharing feature enables network computers to print files easily. This means no need to separately connect the printer to each PC to complete the print job. And it’s easy to share printers on windows 11, Open settings, navigate Bluetooth & devices then select printer & scanners. Locate the printer looking for share on the network, click on the Printer properties option than move to sharing tab and check mark on share this printer option. But sometimes you may notice printer sharing not working or “Can’t Connect to Printer” Error on Windows 11. Here is the reason why Windows 11 printer sharing not working and how to troubleshoot the problem.
There are chances, Firewall is blocking access to the printer, you need to Temporarily Disable Firewall and check if the printer sharing working. You may also experience such problems if the printer is not correctly configured. In addition, you need to check if the connection to the primary PC has been done correctly. check and enable the file and printer Sharing option, Run Printer Troubleshooter or Reshare Printer or Add Printer again are some common solutions you can apply if you are unable to find the printer on the network or if the Printer Sharing not working in Windows 11.
Windows 11 printer sharing not working
Let’s first reboot your computer and printer that clear temporary glitches that may prevent access the printer or complete the print job.
The next thing you need to check the PC is turned on where the physical printer is connected. And the computer is properly connected to your local area network or wifi network. In addition, check the printer and computer for loose connection, and ensure that the power supply to the printer is proper.
Update windows 11
Microsoft regularly drops windows updates with a number of bug fixes and security enhancements. Installing the latest windows updates may have fixes for this printer problem on windows 11.
- Press the Windows key + X and select settings,
- Navigate windows update then hit the check for updates button,
- If pending updates there, allow them to download and install your computer,
- Next click on the advanced option, the optional updates,
- Expand the driver section and checkmark if any updates are pending there
- Click on download and install, once done reboot your PC to apply the changes.
File and Printer Sharing
The next thing you need to check and enable the File and Printer Sharing feature on the PC. If due to any reason, Printer Sharing on Windows 11 option is disabled or yet not enabled you may experience problems with printer sharing on windows 11.
- Search for and select the control panel then click on Network and sharing center,
- Click on the Change Advanced Sharing Settings,
- Here select the radio button Turn on network discovery and Turn on file and printer sharing options,
- Click on Save changes, Make sure you have administrator access to make these changes.
Disable the Windows Firewall
It may be Windows firewall is blocking the printer for some reason, let’s turn off the firewall temporarily and check if this help fixes the problem.
- Press Windows key + R, type control panel and click ok
- When the control panel opens, click on Windows defender firewall then on the lefthand panel click on Turn Windows Firewall Defender On or Off.
- On the next page Turn off Windows Defender Firewall for both Private Network Settings and Public Network Settings.
- Now check if the Windows Couldn’t Connect to the Printer is fixed.
In addition, Allow the printer over the firewall by following steps below.
- Open Windows Security then Click on Firewall & network protection.
- Here Click the “Allow an app through firewall” setting, then Click the Change settings button.
- Check the “Network Discovery” option with the Private option (and select the Public option if you are in a public network.)
- Check the “File and Printer Sharing” option with the Private option (and select the Public option if you are in a public network.)
Enable Nearby Sharing for everyone
Check and enable the nearby sharing feature that helps your computer to recognize other PC and printers in the network.
- Press Windows key + X and select settings,
- Navigate System then Nearby sharing, and select the Everyone Nearby option.
Restart the Print Spooler Service
Still need help restarting the print spooler service may help fix this issue.
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc and click ok
- Scroll down to locate Print Spooler in the list, right-click on it select restart.
Note – If the service is not started you need to double click on it to open its properties, here change the startup type automatic and start the service next to service status.
Now Try to reconnect your printer with your computer.
Run printer troubleshooter
Run the dedicated troubleshooter that detects possible problems with printer settings and fixes them automatically.
- Press the Windows key + I to open the settings
- Navigate System then troubleshoot and click on other troubleshooters,
- This will list all available troubleshooters, click Run next to the printer,
- Let the tool diagnose and fix if something wrong over there.
Once done reboot your PC and check if this help fixes the printer sharing not working problem on windows 11.
Update the Printer Driver
If all the above solutions didn’t fix the problem, you need to update or reinstall the printer driver to fix such problems on windows 11.
- Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager,
- This will display all devices and peripherals connected to your computer,
- Expand the printer section, right-click on printer driver select the update driver option,
- Set the option for the system to look for available drivers from the internet and install the same for the printer.
- Also, you can select the uninstall option here to remove the current printer driver.
- Next, download and install the latest printer driver from the manufacturer’s site.
- After updating the driver of your printer, restart your PC and then try to print your files through printer sharing.
In addition, you can touch with a tech support team of the brand of printer that you use for help. They better guide what is the problem, and how to fix the problem. Also, ensure the power supply to the printer is proper and connections are properly set. Check the LAN settings and connect that computer to the network and you should be able to print now via Printer Sharing.
Why can’t I see a shared printer on my network?
Make sure File and Printer Sharing and Network Discovery are enabled on the printer server or the computer where the printer is physically connected.
Why is my printer not working after Windows 11 update?
Uninstall then reinstall the printer software and drivers to continue using the printer
How do I enable printer sharing on my laptop?
- Printer not working or printing documents after the windows 11 update
- How to Install Printer Via IP Address In Windows 11 and 10
- HP Printer Not Printing or documents in queue not printing [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Solved: Can’t print documents, Printer Driver is unavailable in Windows 10
- Laptop Wi-Fi Not working after windows 11 update (7 solutions)
- SFC Scannow Not Working or stuck repair In Windows 11 (7 Solutions)