This error usually occurs due to Antivirus program interferes with Spotify or the app has accumulated a corrupt cache
Spotify Error Code AUTH 74 or a “firewall may be blocking Spotify” error occurs while attempting to log in to Spotify accounts and it prevents enjoying music streaming. This error indicates that there is an issue with the authentication process. It could be due to firewall or security software interference, Spotify’s cache has become corrupt, server outage or problem with the internet connection. Disable the proxy setting, and allow the Spotify app through the firewall most probably fix this error. If you are also experiencing Spotify Error Code AUTH 74, here are the possible workarounds help you eliminate this error on Windows 11.
How to fix Spotify error code auth 74
This issue indicates an authentication problem that prevents users from logging. It can be due to Incorrect Login Credentials or Device Authorization Limits. Here are the common reason behind Spotify Error Code AUTH 74.
- Firewall or antivirus software interference
- Server outages or temporary issues
- Frequent switching between multiple Spotify accounts
- Corrupted app cache
- Geographical restrictions or incorrect region settings
Let’s close Spotify and restart your computer, this help clear any temporary glitches or conflicts that might be causing the Spotify Error Code AUTH 74. Also, check your internet connection, because a stable connection ensures proper communication between your device and Spotify’s servers during the authentication process.
In addition, If you’re using a VPN (Virtual Private Network), it could be affecting Spotify’s authentication. Deactivate the VPN and try logging in.
- Double-check your username and password for accuracy.
- Consider using the “Forgot Password” option to reset your password if needed.
Check if Spotify is Down
Before proceeding with other steps, it’s a good idea to check if Spotify’s servers are experiencing downtime. You can visit websites like “DownDetector” or follow Spotify’s official social media channels for any announcements about server issues.
If there is an outage or issue then wait till the issue gets resolved.
Allow Spotify through the firewall settings
Windows firewall is a security measure that monitors and controls incoming or outgoing network traffic. Sometimes, firewalls can mistakenly block legitimate applications like Spotify from accessing the internet, leading to authentication failures. Let’s adjust Windows firewall settings to allow Spotify to access Internet.
- Press the Windows key + R, type firewall.cpl and click ok to windows defender Firewall.
- Click the ‘Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall’ in the left pane.
- Click the Change settings button, and yes when it prompts for User Account Control (UAC) permission.
- Scroll down to locate Spotify Music on the list and tick the Public and Private checkboxes next to it. Then, click OK.
Disable the Proxy Settings
Proxy settings can sometimes interfere with the authentication process and prevent applications like Spotify from accessing the internet properly. If in case you are using Proxy Disabling it can help determine if it’s the cause of the issue.
Disable proxy on Windows 11
- Press the Windows key + X to open the settings app
- Go to network & internet then proxy
- Here toggle off automatically detects settings
Disable proxy on the Spotify app
- Open the app on your computer, and go to settings
- Scroll down proxy settings and under proxy type select No proxy option.
If you are on the login screen click on settings then select No proxy from dropdown.
Clear Spotify cache
Accumulated cache data can become corrupted over time and affect Spotify app functionality. In such cases, Clearing the app’s cache through the device’s Settings app is very helpful.
- Open the Spotify app, click the profile icon at top right corner and select the settings
- Scroll down to the storage section and click Clear cache
- If you are unable to open the app or access settings due to Spotify error code auth 74 navigate the following path
- Select all the files in the Data folder (press Ctrl + A) and hit Del key to delete them.
- Restart your computer and open the Spotify app to check there is no more auth error occurs.
Repair or Reset the Spotify app
Still getting errors with the Spotify app, you should try the repair option in Windows settings. Also, there is option to reset the App default settings to make it error-free.
- Press Windows key + X and select Installed apps
- Locate Spotify, click three dots, and select Advanced options.
- Here you will get the option to repair or reset the Spotify app default settings.
- Try the Repair option that automatically detects and repair issues that might be affecting the functionality.
If this doesn’t work, again, come to the Advanced options; select the Reset button to delete app data to make it work.
Reinstall Spotify app
If all the above methods fail to fix the problem, still getting a firewall may be blocking Spotify error code auth 74 Reinstalling the Spotify app could be very helpful. It clears potential corrupted files, settings, and conflicts that might be causing the authentication error.
Uninstall Spotify from your device and then download and install the latest version from the official website.
- Again open Windows 11 settings using Windows key + I
- Go to installed apps, then Locate Spotify. click the three dots next to it, and select Uninstall.
Click Uninstall again to confirm the choice and reboot windows
Now you can visit Spotify’s official website or open the Microsoft Store and search for Spotify then click Download to get install the Spotify app on Windows 11.
Again Running Spotify with administrative privileges can sometimes help resolve authentication issues. Right-click on the Spotify shortcut and select “Run as administrator.”
Changing your region in the Spotify settings might help if the issue is related to regional restrictions or settings. Also Temporarily disable your antivirus and see if it resolves the issue.
- Troubleshooting Guide: Spotify Not Opening on Windows 10
- 5 Best Cyber Security Tips to Protect Your Windows PC From hackers
- Windows 10 can’t detect Network Proxy Settings? Here 5 working solutions
- Windows Modules Installer Worker High CPU Usage (Solved)
- Dell Laptop Black Screen Problem on Windows 11 [Solved)