Did your windows 11 laptop keeps losing its Wi-Fi connection, here are few effective things you can try to fix it
Did your laptop WiFi connection keep dropping out, then reconnecting after windows 11 upgrade? It’s really frustrating because it makes the internet connection unstable or
prevents visit webpages. And you are not alone, a number of windows 11 users report wifi keeps disconnecting on laptop and the internet disconnects as well. Even when the network is in range, WiFi keeps disconnecting and does not reconnect. So you have a question on mind why wifi keeps disconnecting and reconnecting on laptop? Here in this post, we try to find out the reasons behind this problem and what to do if windows 11 Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting on your laptop.
Why does wifi keep disconnecting windows 11?
Anything from corrupted or outdated wifi drivers to misconfigured power management settings or problems with the WiFi adapter or incorrect network configurations are some most common reasons why WiFi automatically disconnects from time to time on your laptop.
Run the Network troubleshooter, Reinstall the wifi adapter driver, check power management settings for Wifi adapter or Reset network settings are some common or useful solutions apply to fix WiFi Keeps Disconnecting issue on Windows 11
Windows 11 Keeps Dropping the Wi-Fi Connection
If the Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting on your laptop, check the wifi signal or take your laptop closer to Router.
The next thing you have to do is restart your Laptop and router or other network devices. That refresh the operating system, clears temporary glitches present there and fixes minor problems as well.
Temporarily disable or uninstall third-party antivirus from your laptop and disconnect VPN if configured on your device.
If your router is outdated, then it can lead to your Wifi signal dropping. Also, updating your router firmware entitles you to multiple benefits the router offers.
In addition for a few users turn on / off the airplane mode helps them fix the wifi disconnect issue on windows 11. Press the window key + A to open the Action Center, and click the “Airplane mode” or “Flight mode” toggle. It will disable the WiFi service. After a few minutes Turn off the Airplane mode and check if the Wifi connection is stable now.
Forget and Reconnect to WiFi Network
- Press Windows key + A to open Action center and click on the arrow icon next to Wifi,
- This will display a list of available wifi networks include your connected one, Right-click on the WiFi network usually you connect and choose to Forget.
- This will disconnect your Windows 11 PC from the WiFi network, and it will also unsave the WiFi password.
- Now try to reconnect to the same WiFi network and enter the password. Now, check if the WiFi keeps on disconnecting or not.
Enable WLAN AutoConfig Service
WLAN AutoConfig Service handles everything related to wifi or wireless networks on windows 11. If due to any reason this service not started to stuck you might experience
problem connect wifi network or wifi keeps disconnecting on windows 11.
- Press the Windows key + R, type service.msc and click ok to open the windows service console,
- Scroll down and look for the “WLAN AutoConfig” service, right-click on it select restart,
- If the service is not started, double-click on the WLAN AutoConfig service to open its properties,
- Change the Startup type to “Automatic” and click on “Start” to enable the service right away
- Finally, click on OK, and you are done.
Now restart your Laptop and check whether that fixes the WiFi disconnection issue on your Windows 11 computer.
Activate Connect Automatically on Windows 11 When in Range
Sometimes even if the Wifi network is in range but the laptop does not connect to wifi because the automatic connection setting is turned off. To allow your PC to connect to a WiFi network automatically, follow the below steps.
- Press the Windows key + A and click on the “arrow” icon next to WiFi.
- This will display all available wifi lists, right-click on the network name and select “Properties“
- It will open the WiFi properties in the Windows Settings app, here enable the “Connect automatically when in range” checkbox.
- In addition, change the Network profile type from public to Private network.
That’s it. Now, your Windows 11 PC will connect to your WiFi network automatically or you are still facing the WiFi disconnection issue.
Run Network Troubleshooter
Run the build in network troubleshooter that automatically detect and fix issues present there and disconnect wifi connection on windows 11.
- Right-click on the windows 11 start menu then select settings from the context menu,
- Go to the system then Locate and Expand Troubleshoot
- Next click on other troubleshooters to display all available troubleshooter list,
- Scroll down to locate the network adapter and click Run next to it, this will start to diagnose network adapter problems and try to fix them itself.
- Let the troubleshooting process complete and reboot your PC, Now connect to the wifi network and check if there is no more problem.
Change Power Plan Settings
You can also change the power plan settings if you continue to face the WiFi disconnection issue on Windows 11. It will allow your PC to provide maximum performance to the WiFi adapter. Here are the steps to follow.
- Press the Windows key + S, type power plan and click on edit power plan from search results,
- Next, click on “Change advanced power settings“.
- From the pop-up window expand “Wireless Adapter Settings” and change the setting to “Maximum Performance” for both scenarios – on battery and while plugged to a charger.
- Click on Apply and then OK to confirm the changes.
- Now, restart your Windows 11 PC, and it should not drop the WiFi connection frequently.
Adjust the WiFi Power Management Settings
Windows 11 sometimes puts some system services to sleep, including WiFi and Bluetooth, to save battery. WiFi keeps disconnecting on your Windows 11 computer, it might have to do with the power management settings.
- Press Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc and click ok to open the device manager,
- This will display all installed device driver lists. Locate and expand network adapters, right-click on the WiFi adapter, and select “Properties” from the context menu.
- Move to the “Power Management” tab and untick the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” checkbox.
- Doing this will prevent Windows 11 from turning off the WiFi adapter to save the battery.
- Click on “OK” and restart your PC.
Now, check if the Windows 11 WiFi disconnection issue has been fixed or not.
Update the WiFi Driver
If none above solutions fix the issue, you need to update or re-install the wifi driver next.
There are chances, the Wifi disconnect issue causing on windows 11 due to driver incompatibility. Let’s first update the WiFi Driver on the device manager. If there are no new updates available for wifi adapter then we recommend reinstall the driver as well.
- Press Windows key + X and select device manager, This will display all installed device driver lists,
- Locate and Expand the “Network adapters” section, and you will find your WiFi adapter. Right-click on it and select “Update driver“.
- Next click on “Search automatically for driver” to allow download driver update from the Microsoft server.
Install the default WiFi adapter
- Again open the device manager and expand the network adapters section,
- Right-click on your wifi adapter select update driver,
- From the pop-up prompt that appears, you need to click on “Browse my computer for drivers“.
- After that, click on “Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer”.
- Finally, select the driver suitable for your WiFi adapter.
- Click on “Next” to apply the change.
Or you can visit the device manufacturer’s website to download and install the wifi driver for your windows 11 Laptop or PC.
Reset Network Adapters on Windows 11
If nothing worked so far then you need to reset the network settings on your windows 11 PC. This will flush and renew all the old network configurations, reinstall the network adapter driver and make it default. It’s one of the most effective solutions to fix wifi and internet problems on windows 11.
- Press the Windows key + X and select settings
- Go to Network and internet then scroll down to the bottom and select advanced network settings
- Next, click on the “Network reset“ option and finally click on reset now on the next page to confirm to proceed.
- Doing so will reinstall your network drivers and reconfigure internet settings to the factory version.
- After that, restart the PC, and check if you are still facing the frequent WiFi disconnection issue on your Windows 11 PC.
Wi-Fi Connected but no internet access
Sometimes you may notice your device or laptop is connected to the wifi network but there is no internet access. This issue usually causes either by a faulty TCP/IP stack, IP address, or DNS client resolver cache. Running the Network Troubleshooting tool and reset the TCP IP stack is probably a good solution to apply.
To do so open the command prompt as administrator, and now perform the following commands one after one. Press enter key after each command to execute the same.
- netsh winsock reset
- ipconfig /release
- netsh int ip reset
- ipconfig /renew
- ipconfig /flushdns
Once done close everything and reboot your System and check if the wifi network is stable now and have a working internet connection on windows 11.
- How to Fix Wi-Fi and Internet Connection Issues in Windows 11
- Solved: Windows 10 Wi-Fi issue “Can’t connect to this network”
- 6 solutions to fix No Wi-Fi network found on Windows 10
- Windows 11 Photos App not opening or Not working? Try these solutions
- 4 Quick ways to Fix or Repair Corrupted Files in Windows 11?