Windows Update installation is an easier task, and the latest Windows 10 Automatically download and install the updates on the background. And when you restart your system Windows apply these updates. But sometimes things not go well, few of users report “windows 10 stuck on getting ready after install updates” for some other windows 10 stuck getting windows ready don’t turn off your computer screen at startup. And restrict from accessing your desktop completely in normal ways.
In the middle of downloading windows updates, my computer restarted, and stuck on the getting windows ready screen. Don’t turn off your computer. The PC can hang for several hours forcing me to use the shutdown button, when I restart it goes right back trying to update but eventually returns to my sign in screen.
Windows 10 stuck getting windows ready
This is an annoying issue mostly occurs if the windows update not installed properly. Or Windows update files Corrupted or damaged while the download and install process. Some Times a Force restart can fix windows stuck on getting ready screen problem. But, for some others again windows Stuck getting ready screen At startup. If your windows 10 computer also stuck at getting windows ready screen for a long time here some applicable solutions to get rid of this and start windows normally.
It’s possible your system may be downloading and installing files or dealing with some tasks in the background that results from “Getting Windows ready”. We recommend Wait until the system completes its tasks and you will get out of the screen.
But if you have waited 1 or 2 hours still windows 10 stuck in loop getting windows ready apply solutions below.
- Power down the computer Unplug it, then wait 20 seconds.
- If you are using a laptop, remove the battery (if the option is available).
- Disconnect it from the Internet as well (unplug Ethernet and/or turn off Wi-Fi).
- Plug it again, ensure it remains disconnected from the Internet then start the computer.
- Let’s see if it completes set up and allow us to access the normal desktop screen.
Perform Windows 10 Startup Repair
As due to this problem system stuck at getting windows ready screen, and prevent you from accessing your desktop completely in normal ways. That causes preform Windows Startup repair is the best solution to deal with this issue.
To perform startup repair you need to boot from Windows 10 bootable USB / DVD. If you don’t have then create one by the following link.
- When you ready with installation media insert it then press the power button to start your computer.
- Now press the F8 or F10 key (depends on your system) to access the Boot Menu of your system.
- Then choose the Boot option, select USB or DVD as per the media used.
- Next, you will see the Windows Installation screen on your computer.
- Skip the first screen and on the next screen click on Repair your computer option.
This will Restart windows, Next click on Troubleshoot > Advanced options and then click on the Startup Repair option.
When you select startup repair this will restart the window and start the diagnostic process. And analyze the various settings, configuration options, and system files Especially look for :
- Missing/corrupt/incompatible drivers
- Missing/corrupt system files
- Missing/corrupt boot configuration settings
- Corrupt registry settings
- Corrupt disk metadata (master boot record, partition table, or boot sector)
- Problematic update installation
After complete the repair process windows will Restart and start normally. If the repair process results “startup repair couldn’t repair your PC” or automatic repair couldn’t repair your PC fallow next step.
Boot into safe mode
If startup repair failed to fix these startup problems, And again windows Stuck Getting windows ready screen that causes we need to boot into safe mode and uninstall the recently installed updates.
- Again access advanced options click on startup setting
- Click on Restart then press F4 To access safe mode and F5 To access safe mode with networking as shown below image.
Uninstall Recently Installed Windows Updates
After booting into Windows 10 safe mode, open windows updates and uninstall the recent update that may be causing the issue.
- Open Control Panel and then go to Programs
- Then select Programs and Features option.
- From the left pane of Programs and Features window, click on View installed update option.
- Now, you will see the list of all the Installed updates.
- Select the recently installed updates which are leading to Windows 10 getting windows ready stuck issue and Uninstall them.
Now restart your PC to get out of Safe Mode and check if Windows 10 started normally.
Run Windows Update troubleshooter
Still having the issue, windows 10 stuck in getting windows ready screen? Let’s run the build-in windows update troubleshooter that automatically detects and problem fix itself. Boot into safe mode and follow the steps below.
- Search for troubleshoot and select the first option “Troubleshoot settings”
- Select Windows update then click run the troubleshooter,
- This will diagnose and fix windows update problems.
- Once the process completes, Restart your PC and check if Windows started normally.
Reset Windows update components
You are still reading this, which means the problem not solved for you. Don’t worry Here another effective solution that probably fixes the problem.
- Open services console and stop windows update service.
- Then navigate the following path: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
- Next, delete all files inside the download folder (don’t delete the folder itself)
- To do this Use keyboard shortcut Windows + A to select all and hit delete.
- Restart your PC this time windows start normally and when you next time check for updates this will download and install fresh update files.
Run System file checker
Again sometimes corrupted system files also prevent windows start normally. Run system file checker utility that helps with detect and restore missing system files with correct ones.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- Then run command sfc /scannow and press enter key on the keyboard,
- This will start to diagnose corrupt, missing system files if found any the SFC utility automatically restore them with correct ones.
- Let the process complete 100% and restart your PC
If sfc / scannow results windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them, That cause run DISM tool which repairs the system image and enables SFC to do its job.
Perform a System Restore
If all the above solutions fails to fix the problem its time to utilize the system restore feature.
Note: keep in mind that restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made.
First, access advanced options and click on system restore as shown below image and fallow. Select any recent System Restore Point which you have created and follow on screen instructions to complete the system restore process.
Once you have restored your computer to the earlier date using Windows System Restore, your Windows 10 PC will start working smoothly as before.
- Windows 10 laptop won’t wake up from sleep mode? Here how to fix it
- Skype Audio or Microphone not working after Windows 10
- How to Fix APC_INDEX_MISMATCH BSOD in Windows 10/8.1 and 7
- Solved: wuauserv (Windows update) High CPU usage in Windows 10
- Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000709) Windows 10