Microsoft regularly releases Windows 10 cumulative updates to fix the security holes created by third-party applications that contain security improvements and bug fixes reported by users. And every compatible device connected to Microsoft server gets install these updates automatically. But sometimes after an improper shutdown, crash, power failure or something went wrong with your Registry, Windows Update can fail to work properly. As users report Windows 10 Stuck checking Updates for hours, Windows Update download and installation stuck at 0% to 99% or Windows 10 Cumulative Update failed to install.
And in such a case, you’re suggested to Run the Windows Update troubleshooter diagnostic that automatically finds and fixes issues that prevents Windows Update install. However, in some cases, the Update troubleshooter may identify issues but is unable to fix them. One such common issue which troubleshooter fails to fix is:
Windows Update Components must be repaired
one or more windows update components are configured incorrectly
Windows Update Components Must Be Repaired
So if you are in a situation where a Windows update troubleshooter is unable to resolve your Windows Update-related issue, Here are some solutions you may apply manually (repair or reset Windows Update components) to fix the problem on your end.
First of all, apply some basic troubleshooting steps which may fix the windows update problem.
- Make sure you have a stable internet connection to download windows update files from the Microsoft server.
- Temporarily disable security software (antivirus) and disconnect from VPN if configured.
- Check and correct Date and time zone from settings -> Time & Language -> Region and Language (Here set country or region united states and language as English (united states)) also correct Date and time.
- Also Check your system drive (basically C: drive) have free space to download and install these updates on your system. or Run Disk cleanup or configure Storage Sense to automatically clean up junk, cache, temp files on your system and free up disk space.
- Run DISM command dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and System file checker utility sfc /scannow to repair system image, and restore corrupted, missing system file, which may also fix the corrupted update components and fix the windows update installation problem.
- Perform Windows 10 clean boot to check and make sure any third-party software confliction not causing the issue, where windows fail to install and apply updates.
Reset Windows Update Components
Let’s reset or repair Windows Update components that probably help with fix most of the Windows update installation problems.
Open the command prompt as administrator and perform the command below to stop the services that Windows Update requires to download and install updates.
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptsvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
Now perform the command below to rename the SoftwareDistribution and catroot2 folder, which are used by Windows Update to store data and temporary files. Your system will detect that these folders are missing, and then it’ll create new ones. The purpose of this is to make the system use the new SoftwareDistribution and catroot2 folders so that Windows Update can avoid issues from the old ones.
- Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
Now We are going to Reset the BITS service and the Windows Update service to the default security descriptor. To do this, at a command prompt, type and execute the following commands.
exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY (A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA) (A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA) (A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
Now, Re-register the BITS files and the Windows Update-related all files. To do this perform the following commands one by one and press enter key to execute.
cd /d %windir%\system32
regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll regsvr32.exe /s shdocvw.dll regsvr32.exe /s browseui.dll regsvr32.exe /s jscript.dll regsvr32.exe /s vbscript.dll regsvr32.exe /s scrrun.dll regsvr32.exe /s msxml3.dll regsvr32.exe /s msxml6.dll regsvr32.exe /s actxprxy.dll regsvr32.exe /s softpub.dll regsvr32.exe /s wintrust.dll regsvr32.exe /s dssenh.dll regsvr32.exe /s rsaenh.dll regsvr32.exe /s cryptdlg.dll regsvr32.exe /s oleaut32.dll regsvr32.exe /s ole32.dll regsvr32.exe /s shell32.dll regsvr32.exe /s wuapi.dll regsvr32.exe /s wuaueng.dll regsvr32.exe /s wups.dll regsvr32.exe /s wups2.dll regsvr32.exe /s qmgr.dll regsvr32.exe /s wudriver.dll
Now, reset your network configuration by performing the command below.
netsh winsock reset netsh winsock reset proxy ipconfig /flushdns
And perform the command below to restart the windows update-related services which you stopped previously.
- net start bits
- net start wuauserv
- net start appidsvc
- net start cryptsvc
That’s All, Now Restart Your Computer To take effect the changes and get a fresh start to your windows computer. Then after check for windows updates from Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows updates -> check updates. I hope this time you get succeed, there is no more error.
Install Windows Update manually
If all the above solutions fail to fix the problem, still windows update stuck downloading or fails to install then let’s install windows updates manually. Visit the Windows 10 update history webpage where you can notice the logs of all the previous Windows updates that have been released.
For the most recently released update, note down the KB number.
Now use Windows Update Catalog Website to search for the update specified by the KB number you noted down. Download the update depending on if your machine is 32-bit = x86 or 64-bit=x64.
(As of today – KB4524570 (OS Build 18362.476) is the latest patch for Windows 10 May 2019 update, KB4523205 (OS Build 17763.864) for October 2018 Update).
Open the downloaded file in order to install the update.
That’s all after installing the updates simply restart the computer to apply the changes. Also If you are getting windows to update stuck during while the upgrade process simply uses the official media creation tool to upgrade windows 10 version 1803 without any error or problem.
Did these solutions help to fix windows update installation problems include ” windows update components must be repaired “one or more windows update components are configured incorrectly? Let’s share your feedback on the comments below,
- Fix WUAUSERV (Windows update) High CPU usage in Windows 10
- Solved: Windows 10 Slow Shutdown after November 2019 Update
- Laptop Stuck Getting Windows ready Don’t turn off your computer? Try these solutions
- Windows 10 Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Error – An Ultimate Guide
- 5 solutions to fix NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM error in Windows 10/8/7