Microsoft regularly releases Windows updates to improve the overall performance, integrate new features, and patch security vulnerabilities. Recently the company released cumulative update KB5003637 for the latest windows 10 version 21H1 with various bug fixes and security, reliability improvements. On devices running the latest Windows 10 version 21H1, KB5003637 will download and install automatically and you need to restart your PC to apply them.
Can’t install the KB5003637 update
However, for different reasons, sometimes you might experience problems installing windows updates such as windows update KB5003637 stuck downloading. Or When attempting to do so, Windows Update would begin to download the update and eventually display an error code such as 0x8024000b, 0x80070026, 0x800f0988, 0x80073701, along with many others. Well If Windows Update isn’t working or showing an error on your device then Here how to troubleshoot and resolve the most frequent windows update problems on Windows 10.
Fix Windows Update problems on Windows 10
Most of the time restart your PC and again check for updates that probably fix the problem.
Check and make sure you have a working internet connection to download windows update files from the Microsoft server. Press Windows + R, type ping google.com -t and click ok and confirm you’re getting a reply without any packet loss.
Temporarily disable third-party antivirus protection and disconnect from VPN (if configured)
Windows update troubleshooter
Microsoft ships Windows 10 with a number of built-in troubleshooting tools that automatically detect and fix different problems with windows 10. Run the build in windows update troubleshooter can help diagnose and resolve common problems with Windows Update.
- Right-click on the start menu select settings,
- Click on Update & Security then Troubleshoot.
- Click Additional troubleshooter link (refer to the image below)
- Next, Under the “Get up and running” section, select the Windows Update option.
- Click the Run the troubleshooter button and follow on-screen instructions,
- Let the troubleshooter diagnose and resolve any issue that it finds once done restart your PC and check for updates again.
Reset windows update directory
If the troubleshooter doesn’t work, then simply clear away the old update files and force download fresh windows updates from the Microsoft server. To do this first stop windows update service following the steps below.
- Press Windows + R, type services.msc and click ok
- This will open the windows services console
- Scroll down and locate windows update service, right-click on it select stop
- Now open File Explorer, navigate to the Windows folder\SoftwareDistribution\download
- Here select all files and folders (Ctrl + A) inside the download folder, Right-click, and delete.
- Don’t worry about these files, when you next time check for windows updates it will download fresh ones from the Microsoft server.
- Again open the windows service console, locate windows update service, right-click on it select start.
- Now open Windows update and check for updates.
Change DNS Settings
Here another solution that helps fix most of the windows update errors
- Press Windows key + R, type ncpa.cpl and click ok,
- Right-click on active network adapter (Ethernet or WiFi) select properties,
- Select Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPV4) then click properties,
- Now select the radio button and enter the following DNS server address ( Google’s public DNS server)
- Set preferred DNS server 188.8.131.52 and alternate DNS server 184.108.40.206
If you want to use an alternative like Cloudflare, you can input 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168. Hit the “OK” button, and try Windows Update again
Run DISM and SFC command
There is a chance that your windows 10 may have one or multiple corrupted system files, that may prevent windows updates install.
- Open Command Prompt as administrator.
- In the Command Prompt window, copy and paste the following command:
- dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
- Wait for a few minutes to complete the scanning process
- Next type command sfc /scannow and press the enter key
- Once the scanning process completes 100% restart the system
- Check for updates again.
Install Windows Update manually
If all the above solutions fail to fix the problem, still windows update stuck downloading or fails to install then let’s install windows updates manually. Visit the Windows 10 update history webpage where you can notice the logs of all the previous Windows updates that have been released.
For the most recently released update, note down the KB number.
Now use the Windows Update Catalog Website to search for the update specified by the KB number you noted down. Download and install the update depending on if your machine is 32-bit = x86 or 64-bit=x64.
That’s all after installing the updates simply restart the computer to apply the changes. Also If you are getting Windows Update stuck while upgrade the windows 10 21H1 process simply use the official media creation tool to upgrade windows 10 version 21H1 without any error or problem.
Did the above solution help to resolve the windows update installation problem? Share your feedback on the comments below.
- Windows 10 keeps shutting down and restarting automatically? Try these solutions
- Solved: Windows 10 start menu search not working after update
- Solved: Cortana not working in Windows 10 version 21H1, October 2020 update
- Windows 10 laptop Freezes Applications Not Responding on Startup? Let’s fix it
- Fix Outlook Search Not Working ( Microsoft office 2016, 2013, 2010 and 2007)