Microsoft regularly releases Windows updates to improve the overall performance, integrate new features, and patch security vulnerabilities. Recently the company released cumulative update KB5017308 for the latest windows 10 version 21H2 with various bug fixes, and security and reliability improvements. On devices running the latest Windows 10 version 21H2, KB5017308 will download and install automatically and you need to restart your PC to apply them.
Windows update failed to install on windows 10
However, for different reasons, sometimes you might experience problems installing windows updates such as windows update KB5017308 stuck downloading. Or When attempting to do so, Windows Update would begin to download the update and eventually display an error code such as 0x8024000b, 0x80070026, 0x800f0988, 0x80073701, along with many others.
Can’t install the windows 10 KB5017308 update
So what causes, Windows 10 update failed to install? There are several reasons why Windows updates keep failing: Corrupt Update Files, Limited Space on Your Drive, slow internet connection, and Third-party security software conflict are some common ones.
Well, if Windows Update failed to install or will not download in Windows 10 or showing an error on your device Here are a few effective windows update troubleshooting tips apply to fix the most frequent windows update problems on Windows 10.
How to fix Windows Update problems on windows 10
Sometimes several updates might queue and try to run at the same time, causing Windows update failure. We recommend restart your device that refreshes the OS, clear temporary glitches that may present there and cause windows update stuck or fail to install. Once you reboot your system check for windows updates again and that probably fixes the problem.
Check and make sure you have a working internet connection to download windows update files from the Microsoft server. To confirm the same, Press Windows + R, type ping google.com -t and click ok and confirm you’re getting a reply without any packet loss.
Temporarily disable third-party antivirus protection and disconnect from VPN (if configured)
Sometimes, connected peripheral devices may cause conflicts and be the reason why Windows is unable to update. We recommend disconnect the USB flash drive, in addition, remove the printer, and external HDD webcams, reboot your machine and then try to run the Windows update again
Run the Windows update troubleshooter
Microsoft ships Windows 10 with a number of built-in troubleshooting tools that automatically detect and fix different problems with windows 10. Run the build in windows update troubleshooter can help diagnose and resolve common problems with Windows Update.
The Windows Update Troubleshooter identify and resolves many of Windows Update errors
- Right-click on the start menu select settings,
- Click on Update & Security then Troubleshoot.
- Click the Additional troubleshooter link (refer to the image below)
- Next, Under the “Get up and running” section, select the Windows Update option.
- Click the Run the troubleshooter button and follow on-screen instructions,
- Let the troubleshooter diagnose and resolve any issue that it finds once done restart your PC and check for updates again.
Reset windows update directory
If the troubleshooter doesn’t work, then simply clear away the old update files and force download fresh windows updates from the Microsoft server. To do this first stop windows update service follow the steps below.
- Press Windows + R, type services.msc and click ok
- This will open the windows services console
- Scroll down and locate the windows update service, right-click on it select stop
- Now open File Explorer, navigate to the C drive the Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ Download.
- Here select all files and folders (Ctrl + A) inside the download folder, Right-click, and delete.
- Don’t worry about these files, when you next time check for windows updates it will download fresh ones from the Microsoft server.
- Again open the windows service console, locate the windows update service, and right-click on it and select start.
- Now open Windows update and check for updates.
Change DNS Settings
Here is another solution that helps fix most of the windows update errors
- Press Windows key + R, type ncpa.cpl and click ok,
- Right-click on the active network adapter (Ethernet or WiFi) select properties,
- Select Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPV4) then click properties,
- Now select the radio button and enter the following DNS server address ( Google’s public DNS server)
- Set preferred DNS server 18.104.22.168 and alternate DNS server 22.214.171.124
If you want to use an alternative like Cloudflare, you can input 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52. Hit the “OK” button, and try Windows Update again
Run DISM and SFC command
There is a chance that your windows 10 may have one or multiple corrupted system files, that may prevent windows updates install.
- Open Command Prompt as administrator.
- In the Command Prompt window, copy and paste the following command:
- dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
- Wait for a few minutes to complete the scanning process
- Next, type the command sfc /scannow and press the enter key
- Once the scanning process completes 100% restart the system
- Check for updates again.
Install Windows Update manually
If all the above solutions fail to fix the problem, still windows update stuck downloading or fails to install then let’s install windows updates manually. Visit the Windows 10 update history webpage where you can notice the logs of all the previous Windows updates that have been released.
For the most recently released update, note down the KB number.
Now use the Windows Update Catalog Website to search for the update specified by the KB number you noted down. Download and install the update depending on if your machine is 32-bit = x86 or 64-bit=x64.
That’s all after installing the updates simply restart the computer to apply the changes. Also If you are getting Windows Update stuck while upgrade the windows 10 21H2 process simply use the official media creation tool to upgrade windows 10 version 21H2 without any error or problem.
Did the above solution help to resolve the windows update installation problem? Share your feedback in the comments below.
- Windows 10 keeps shutting down and restarting automatically. Try these solutions
- Solved: Windows 10 start menu search not working after update
- Solved: Cortana not working in Windows 10 version 21H2
- Windows 10 laptop Freezes Applications Not Responding on Startup? Let’s fix it
- Fix Outlook Search Not Working (Microsoft office 2016, 2013, 2010, and 2007)