Sometimes you might experience Microphone muting itself on a windows 10 laptop. Or microphone keeps muting itself in google meet while attending an important video meeting. You are not alone several users report similar problems, Microphone keeps resetting to 0 volume or the microphone keeps muting itself after Windows 10 update.
- 1 Why does my mic keep muting itself?
- 2 Microphone keeps muting itself in google meet
- 3 How to fix Microphone Keeps Muting Itself?
Why does my mic keep muting itself?
According to Microsoft experts, this problem “microphone keeps muting itself” commonly occurs because of improper sound settings or outdated device drivers.
Yes, incorrect sound settings cause an internal or external microphone sets itself to mute automatically. Again outdated sound drivers cause different sound problems in windows 10. There are several more reasons behind this issue but these are common. Here In this post, we have the best working solutions to fix the Microphone not working or keeps muting itself on windows 10.
Microphone keeps muting itself in google meet
If microphone keep muting itself only while using Google meet apply soltuions listed below.
Allow google meet use microphone
Here the most working soltuion fix the problem for users microphone randomly auto mute while use google meet.
- Go to “settings” using Windows key + I windows 10
- Click on privacy then microphone on left
- Here make sure Turn “Allow apps to access your microphone” to ON
- In addition check microphone acces for this device is on or clcik on change to toggle it on.
look at the bottom of the screen during a meeting if red-colored microphone icon with a slash is there you need click on it to unmute your audio.
Allow access to microphone on your browser
Click the padlock-shaped icon to the left corner of the address bar, and then set Microphone to Allow.
Check microphone input level
- Open settings and click system then sound
- click Sound Control Panel under Related Settings.
- Move to recording tab, select your microphone, then click Properties.
- Underneath the Levels tab of the Microphone Properties dialog box, move the slider under Microphone to a higher input level.
How to fix Microphone Keeps Muting Itself?
Let’s move to the troubleshooting part if you are struggling with similar problem where mic keeps muting itself or not working in Windows 10 apply the solutions listed below.
Disconnect and reconnect the microphone or connect to a different USB port (applicable for external mic only)
Restart your computer, this will refresh the system and fixes minor software conflicts that may be causing the problems.
Perform a clean boot and check, if any third-party applications or services are conflict with the microphone driver causing the issue.
Install the latest windows update
Microsoft regularly releases windows updates with security improvements and various bug fixes. And installing the latest windows updates not only fix previous problems but also installs the latest device driver that helps your PC optimize and error free.
- Press Windows key + I to open the Settings app,
- Go to Update & settings then hit the check for updates button,
- This will start to download and install the latest windows updates from the Microsoft server
- Once done you need to restart your computer to apply them.
- After that check the status of your microphone if this helps
Run the microphone troubleshooter
The latest Windows 10 has a built-in microphone troubleshooter, running that automatically detects and microphone-related issues.
- Press Windows key + I to open the Settings app,
- Click on the system then sound on left,
- Scroll down to the Input section, select your preferred microphone using the menu under ‘Choose your input device,’ and then click Troubleshoot.
Check for misconfigured settings
Again Sometimes this issue can be caused by wrong settings. Follow the steps listed below to check if this is the case.
- Locate the Volume icon on the right part of your taskbar, right-click on it and open Sound.
- Navigate to the Communications tab and click on Do nothing option When Windows detects communication activity
If the issue persists then continue with the following steps.
- Navigate to the Recording tab inside the Sound control panel again, and then select the microphone and click on the Properties button.
- Go to the Advanced tab and untick the checkbox next to Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device.
- Click on Apply to execute the operation.
Change the Format of Your Microphone
For some of windows users changing the format of your microphone help fix the issue. You may have a try. For that:
- Right-click on the volume icon and select sound to Open the Sound control panel
- Go to the Recording tab and then select the mute microphone and click on Properties.
- Go to the Advanced tab and select the format of other 16-bit options from the drop-down list.
- Click on Apply to save the changes.
Reinstall the audio driver
And the ultimate solution, reinstall the audio driver. If the above solutions didn’t help or the microphone still mutes itself you need to look at the sound driver it may be corrupted or outdated that causing the issue. you can try updating the driver by following the steps below:
- Right-click the Start button and select Device Manager from the context menu.
- This will display all installed device driver list, locate Expand the Sound, video and game controllers category,
- Right-click the audio device (Most likely you have Realtek High Definition Audio.) Right-click on it and then click Uninstall device option.
- Select Delete the driver software for this device checkbox and click uninstall again when ask for confirmation.
Restart your PC, on next start windows automatically install build in audio driver now check the microphone status.
Alternatively, you can download the sound device driver from the manufacturer’s website and install it on your computer
Did these solutions help fix the microphone keeps muting itself in google meet or windows 10? Let us know in the comments below.
- Mic no longer working on Discord after Windows 10 update? Lets fix it
- Solved: No Sound In Windows 10 October 2020 Update version 20H2
- Skype Audio or Microphone not working after Windows 10 update
- Solved: “No Audio Output Device Is Installed” Windows 10
- 9 Reasons why windows 10 computer running slow and how to speed up it?